STAGE 1: APPLYING FOR YOUR PROVISIONAL LICENCE
When to apply
Before we start, you will need a valid provisional licence. The earliest date your provisional licence can become valid is your 17th birthday. However, you can apply for the licence up to three months before your 17th birthday. If you apply for your provisional licence before you are 17, you will still have to wait until your birthday before you can take your Theory test, but it does not stop you getting prepared.
If you are receiving disability living allowance at the higher rate your provisional licence will come into effect when you are 16, but you can apply for it within three months of your 16th birthday.
To apply online, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- are a resident of Great Britain
- can meet the minimum age requirement
- can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- can pay £34.00 MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years